Aug. 13, 2013 -- State School Superintendent Dr. John Barge today named the 2012 Georgia Schools of Excellence in Student Achievement, honoring 28 schools that have shown the highest performance or highest progress across the state. Each of these schools will receive a $1,000 check from Georgia Natural Gas to be used however they wish. United Healthcare is also a sponsor for the 2012 Schools of Excellence program.
"These schools are the epitome of excellence,” said Superintendent Barge. “It took us a while to name the 2012 Schools of Excellence, but we wanted to measure them based on our College and Career Ready Performance Index rather than the old measure. With our new, more rigorous accountability system, these schools really shine. Their focus on areas that impact student success is evident across the board. I offer my congratulations to our 2012 Georgia Schools of Excellence and my appreciation to Georgia Natural Gas and United Healthcare for continued support of our schools.”
Superintendent Barge will travel to three Schools of Excellence this week and will visit others throughout the year.
Each of these schools will receive a $1,000 check from Georgia Natural Gas to be used however they wish. United Healthcare is also a sponsor for the 2012 Schools of Excellence program.
“Georgia Natural Gas is extremely proud to continue our support of the Georgia Schools of Excellence program,” said Georgia Natural Gas President and CEO Mike Braswell. “Striving for excellence is not just about financial rewards; it is also about learning to set goals, turn goals into achievements and being accountable to yourself and your community. That’s what makes this an important program.”
In addition to supporting the Schools of Excellence, Georgia Natural Gas has donated more than $2 million to Georgia schools since 2008 through its TrueBlue Schools program, a very successful school fundraising program.
The Georgia Schools of Excellence are chosen from each Congressional District in the following categories (full criteria attached below):
Highest Performing schools represent the top performance schools within each Congressional District on the College and Career-Ready Performance Index.
Highest Progress schools represent the school making the greatest gains within each Congressional District on the College and Career-Ready Performance Index.
2012 GEORGIA SCHOOLS OF EXCELLENCE
Congressional District, School, System
1. Esther F. Garrison School of Visual and Performing Arts, Chatham County
2. J. S. Pate Elementary, Crisp County
3. Centralhatchee Elementary, Heard County
4. R.D. Head Elementary, Gwinnett County
5. Oakhurst Elementary, Decatur City
6. Hembree Springs Elementary, Fulton County
7. Harris Elementary, Gwinnett County
8. Quail Run Elementary, Houston County
9. Towns County Middle, Towns County
10. Mulberry Elementary, Gwinnett County
11. Marietta Center for Advanced Academics, Marietta City
12. A.R. Johnson Health Science and Engineering Magnet, Richmond County
13. Elite Scholars Academy, Clayton County
14. Jones Elementary, Bremen City
Congressional District, School, System
1. Center Elementary, Ware County
2. John Johnson Elementary, Decatur County
3. McIntosh High, Fayette County
4. DeKalb Early College Academy, DeKalb County
5. Kipp Strive Academy, Atlanta Public Schools
6. Garrison Mill Elementary, Cobb County
7. Big Creek Elementary, Forsyth County
8. Centerville Elementary, Houston County
9. World Language Academy, Hall County
10. Frank N. Osborne Middle, Gwinnett County
11. Kennesaw Charter, Cobb County
12. Broxton-Mary Hayes Elementary, Coffee County
13. King Springs Elementary, Cobb County
14. Trion Elementary, Trion City
Visit www.TrueBlueSchools.com to continue to strive for excellence for your school – the TrueBlue Way.
About Georgia Natural Gas
Georgia Natural Gas, a division of SouthStar Energy Services, a preeminent retail natural gas marketing company operating in eight states. Based in Atlanta, SouthStar is a joint venture between AGL Resources, Inc., (NYSE:AGL) and Piedmont Natural Gas Co. (NYSE: PNY). In addition to operating in Georgia as Georgia Natural Gas, SouthStar also does business in the Carolinas as Piedmont Energy Company, in Ohio as Ohio Natural Gas, in Florida as Florida Natural Gas, and in other parts of the Southeast as SouthStar Energy Services. For more information: www.onlygng.com