To apply to the Georgia Department of Education an applicant should review our advertised job postings and apply for the position(s) that best fit their employment history and qualifications.
Please apply to each job separately by submitting - via Fax, U.S. mail, or Email - a cover letter, resume, and salary history OR a State of Georgia Application to:
Georgia Department of Education
Human Resources Office
2052 Twin Towers East
205 Jesse Hill, Jr. Drive
Atlanta, Georgia 30334
Reference the job announcement number in the email subject line or cover letter. All documents submitted must be in .doc (WORD) or .pdf files only. Do not send links and/or downloads.
NOTE: Please be sure to read the minimum qualifications posted for each position. Some of the education-specific positions require Georgia professional educator’s certification. Official documentation of certification is required with the application/resume. An application or resume received will not be considered for a position without certification documentation if required. Georgia professional educator certification inquiries can be directed to the Georgia Professional Standards Commission by calling 404-232-2500 or visiting the web site at www.gapsc.com.
|Announcement - SCSC-01 ||All Job Openings
|Job Title:||Executive Director, State Charter Schools Commission
|Post Date:||January 31, 2013
|Apply by:||February 15, 2013
|Job ID:||State Charter Schools Commission position
|Program/Unit:||State Charter Schools Commission
|Description of Duties:||
The State Charter Schools Commission (SCSC) is an independent, state-level charter school authorizer whose primary focus is the development and support of high quality charter schools in Georgia. The SCSC approves and supports charter schools of the highest academic quality to better meet the growing and diverse needs of Georgia public school students. The SCSC is currently searching for a founding Executive Director to help direct the course of the organization and who will employ such staff as is necessary to perform the duties and responsibilities of the SCSC.
The Executive Director is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing the activities and functions of the SCSC, as well as disseminating information related to SCSC activities to the public. The ideal candidate will have strong management, leadership, financial & data analysis, fundraising, and communication skills, as well as experience with the legislative process and educational reform. The Executive Director of the SCSC will be based in Atlanta, Georgia.
• Provide leadership in formulating policy and procedures related to achievement of the SCSC’s mission based on state goals, priority objectives, legislative mandates and other policy and procedural directives related to Georgia’s charter schools.
• Establish the SCSC as an organization that is solely committed to authorizing and overseeing high quality charter schools.
• Direct the implementation of the SCSC as guided by state and federal laws, rules and regulations, appropriations, and policy directives.
• Oversee dissemination of public information and complaint responses.
• Develop and implement monitoring and policy compliance systems and oversee mechanisms of academic and financial accountability for SCSC charter schools.
• Develop and maintain information systems, including a website that will provide information on SCSC charter school performance, accountability standards, links to SCSC schools, and available public education programs for SCSC schools.
• Represent the SCSC and serve as liaison and key policy contact for advocacy groups, constituents, task forces and other forums on issues related to the SCSC and its charter schools. Develop effective working relationships with Georgia’s governor’s office and General Assembly as well as national and state stakeholders, policy groups and researchers, and other states.
• Ensure provision of targeted technical assistance to prospective and operating SCSC schools, including training, conferences, and technical assistance papers.
• Travel as needed to educate the public about the administration, monitoring, and evaluation of SCSC charter schools.
• Collaborate with the Georgia Department of Education and report to the State Board of Education as needed. Work directly with Department staff and leadership to assure timely funding for SCSC charter schools as set forth in state law.
• Plan and coordinate the effective utilization of available financial resources, including the SCSC operational budget and administrative fees from SCSC charter schools.
• Develop and actively implement a plan to identify and obtain supplemental revenue from various grant funds and philanthropic organizations.
• Recruit, hire, direct and evaluate staff members. Secure appropriate human resource-related needs, including health benefits and related organizational requirements.
• Provide for office space, furniture, equipment, and technology systems for the SCSC.
• Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the SCSC.
How to Apply
To ensure consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume no later than 12:00 pm (noon) Eastern Standard Time February 15, 2013 to:
Louis J. Erste
Charter Schools Division Director
Georgia Department of Education
2053 Twin Towers East
205 Jesse Hill Jr. Drive, SE
Atlanta, Georgia 30334
The State Charter Schools Commission does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, or disability in its programs, activities or employment practices.
• An undergraduate degree is required.
• Strong leadership and organizational skills and experience with at least three years work experience in a leadership position.
• Ability to express oneself orally and in writing, to communicate ideas, concepts, and programs to instructional and non-instructional employees, policymakers, charter school stakeholders, students, and parents.
• Proven ability to communicate and interact professionally and effectively with high-level community and government leaders.
• Experience working as a charter school authorizer or in a charter-related environment. Preference will be given to those who have experience as an authorizer.
• Familiarity with financial analysis and public education funding calculations, as well as knowledge of grants management and administration.
• Knowledge and experience in areas such as: education reform, charter school development, accreditation, federal grants, education law and policy, and procurement.
• Knowledge of and experience with state education accountability mechanisms and student information systems.
• Ability to navigate the federal, state and local systems, with an understanding of and sensitivity to the issues and challenges of concern to Georgia’s stakeholders.
• Knowledge of Georgia State Board of Education rules, administrative policies and procedures, as well as legislative requirements of the SCSC.
• Ability to design, implement and evaluate educational procedures and programs.
• Strong personal commitment to quality education for charter school students.
• An advanced degree in business, law, finance, education or related field.
• Established, effective working relationships with Georgia policymakers and education stakeholders.
• Candidates with executive experience and experience successfully starting an organization are strongly preferred and encouraged to apply.
The SCSC will offer a competitive salary, as well as health insurance and vacation benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience and competitive with salaries paid to lead executives of charter school authorizers across the country.
Consideration/interviews will begin as soon as a list of applicants is established. Applications/resumes will be evaluated and only those meeting the qualifications may be forwarded to the hiring manager to be considered. Candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted directly. No notification will be sent to applicants except those who are selected for interviews. Due to the large volume of applications received, we cannot provide application status information.
It is the policy of the Georgia Department of Education not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, disability, or age in its employment practices.
The Georgia Department of Education (GaDOE) and each associated State School is a registered participant in the federal work authorization program commonly known as E-Verify. The GaDOE utilizes the program to verify employment eligibility of individuals hired on or after July 1, 2007.
GaDOE Federally-issued User ID#: 46420
Date of Authorization: 07/02/2007