To apply to the Georgia Department of Education an applicant should review our advertised job postings and apply for the position(s) that best fit their employment history and qualifications.
Please apply to each job separately by submitting - via Fax, U.S. mail, or Email - a cover letter, resume, and salary history OR a State of Georgia Standard Application for Employment to:
Georgia Department of Education
Human Resources Office
2052 Twin Towers East
205 Jesse Hill, Jr. Drive
Atlanta, Georgia 30334
Reference the job announcement number in the email subject line or cover letter. All documents submitted must be in .doc (WORD) or .pdf files only. Do not send links and/or downloads.
NOTE: Please be sure to read the minimum qualifications posted for each position. Some of the education-specific positions require Georgia professional educator’s certification. Official documentation of certification is required with the application/resume. An application or resume received will not be considered for a position without certification documentation if required. Georgia professional educator certification inquiries can be directed to the Georgia Professional Standards Commission by calling 404-232-2500 or visiting the web site at www.gapsc.com.
|Announcement - 13-08 ||All Job Openings
|Job Title:||School Improvement Specialist - Open to GaDOE employees only
|Post Date:||April 3, 2013
|Apply by:||Until Filled
|Job ID:||Thirty-six (36) positions
|Location:||Field-based within geographic regions (North Georgia, Metro Atlanta, Middle Georgia, and South Georgia)
|Program/Unit:||School Improvement Division/Office of School Improvement
|Description of Duties:||
Under the direction of the Lead School Improvement Specialist, the School Improvement Specialist provides specific coaching support for principals, assistant principals, leadership teams, instructional coaches, department chairs and teachers to develop capacity in improving instruction. This position will be responsible for assisting a portfolio of schools in developing, implementing, and monitoring a comprehensive plan to improve instruction for all students. Additionally, this position will monitor progress of each school through on-site school visits and online through Indistar©. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to,
• Assisting schools and systems in the implementation of the Georgia School Standards/Keys to Quality and the Common Core Georgia Performance Standards (CCGPS);
• Assisting in building capacity among teachers to develop lesson plans/unit plans and student tasks aligned to the CCGPS and Universal Design for Learning (UDL);
• Assisting in planning school/system improvement based on the use of qualitative and quantitative data;
• Planning and providing professional learning based on school and system needs and priorities;
• Building the capacity of school personnel to develop professional learning communities focused on school improvement.
• Conducting no less than twelve (12) coaching sessions with each school (both in person and online through Indistar); and
• Monitoring the progress of each assigned school through Indistar.
School Improvement Specialists will be assigned the one of the following areas of focus:
• Students with Disabilities/RTI/UDL
• Literacy/English Language Arts/UDL/LDC
• Professional Learning/Data
• Leadership Development
Note: Regional travel and some statewide travel is required. These positions may be filled as both full-time and part-time positions.
Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC) professional educator certification, a Master's Degree in education, education administration or related field, and a minimum of three years experience in a K-12 leadership position, including experience as a successful classroom teacher. Must have must have the ability to work collaboratively and to counsel and coach principals, both in-person and online. Note: Must submit a copy of GaPSC certification with resume and cover letter or with application. In cover letter, please indicate preferred area of focus and preferred geographic region. This job announcement is open to current GaDOE employees only.
Preference will be given to applicants who, in addition to meeting the minimum qualifications, posses one or more of the following:
• Georgia Professional Standards Commission certificate in educational leadership at level L-5, L-6, or L-7
• Education Specialist or higher degree
• Five or more years of experience in a position of K-12 educational leadership
• Experience successfully coaching both new and experienced teachers
• Experience at the state or RESA level in school improvement
• Experience at the working with district level professional staff with a focus on instruction and/or leadership
• Strong knowledge base of best practices in leadership and standards-based instruction
• Demonstrated success in team building
• Experience in data analysis and the organization and implementation of major school initiatives
• Experience working with adult learners
• Strong work ethic, self-directed, and self-motivated
• Knowledge of state and federal guidelines, including the Elementary and Secondary Education Act and ESEA Waiver
Pay grade 18 – Annual salary range $47,280.21 (minimum) to $82,962.30 (maximum). Hiring salary is commensurate with current employment, relevant education/training and work experience, and available funding. Benefit options include life, disability, dental and health insurance, annual/sick leave, and Employees’ Retirement or Teachers’ Retirement.
Consideration/interviews will begin as soon as a list of applicants is established. Applications/resumes will be evaluated and only those meeting the qualifications may be forwarded to the hiring manager to be considered. Candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted directly. No notification will be sent to applicants except those who are selected for interviews. Due to the large volume of applications received, we cannot provide application status information.
It is the policy of the Georgia Department of Education not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, disability, or age in its employment practices.
The Georgia Department of Education (GaDOE) and each associated State School is a registered participant in the federal work authorization program commonly known as E-Verify. The GaDOE utilizes the program to verify employment eligibility of individuals hired on or after July 1, 2007.
GaDOE Federally-issued User ID#: 46420
Date of Authorization: 07/02/2007