The GIMC produces materials in braille, large print, and digital formats through a cooperative agreement with the Department of Corrections. An accessible media producer list is maintained by the GIMC for additional resources during peak times. Accessible Materials Producers are required to submit a Transcriber Application and a Vendor Registration Form.
All transcribers are required to have the following qualifications:
- NLS certification in at least one of the following codes: Literary, Nemeth, Proofreading, or Music.
- Letter of Proficiency or proof of UEB course completion.
- At least three years' experience in textbook transcription.
- Working knowledge of Current Braille Formats Principles of Print to Braille Transcription.
- Special consideration will be given to those who have passed the NBA Formats Course.
It is recommended that all transcribers take the NBA Braille Formats Course.
To register as a transcriber with the GIMC, please submit the following:
Transcriber application and cover letter detailing your transcription experience, including at least two references and their contact information.
- A sample of your work (textbook material preferred) in either hard copy braille or electronic (*.brf file) format. (Approximately 20-30 pages.)
- A sample of tactile graphics (if you make graphics).
- A print copy to match the above samples.
- A photocopy of your NLS certification(s) and UEB proficiency.