MEDIA CONTACT: Meghan Frick, GaDOE Communications Office, firstname.lastname@example.org
-Follow GaDOE on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at @GeorgiaDeptofEd
NOTE: Photographs and brief descriptions of the 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools are available here.
September 16, 2022 – Six Georgia public schools have been recognized as 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools.
Blue Ribbon is a national recognition from the U.S. Department of Education (USED). The Georgia schools named 2022 recipients of the honor are:
- Armuchee Primary School, Floyd County School District
- Jefferson Elementary School, Jefferson City School District
- Jones Elementary School, Bremen City School District
- Kings Chapel Elementary School, Houston County School District
- North Columbia Elementary School, Columbia County School District
- Trion Middle School, Trion City School District
“Congratulations to Georgia's 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools!" State School Superintendent Richard Woods said. “I am so proud of them for receiving this well-deserved national recognition. National Blue Ribbon Schools create exciting, welcoming, and encouraging school communities where students can learn, grow, reach their potential, and succeed. Each of these six schools has represented Georgia on the national stage with great distinction."
USED recognizes schools in two performance categories:
- Exemplary High Performing Schools are among their state's highest-performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools are among their state's highest-performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school's student groups and all students.
Up to 420 schools may be nominated each year. USED invites National Blue Ribbon School nominations from the top education official in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Department of Defense Education Activity, and the Bureau of Indian Education.
Private schools are nominated through a separate process by the Council for American Private Education (CAPE).