MEDIA CONTACT: Matt Cardoza, GaDOE Communications Office, (404) 651-7358, email@example.com
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
January 6, 2014 – The Georgia Department of Education, the Georgia PTA and the United Way will host the 2014 Georgia Family Engagement Conference January 9-11 in Athens. Over 1,200 parents and educators from across the state will be in attendance.
Who: State School Superintendent Dr. John Barge; Otha Thornton, National PTA President; Rita Erves, Georgia PTA President; Milton Little, United Way of Greater Atlanta President; Rubielen R. Norris, United Way of Northeast Georgia President; and many other national keynote speakers.
When: Thursday, January 9 to Saturday, January 11, 2014 (schedule highlights below)
Where: The Classic Center, Athens
Thursday, January 9, 2014
- Featured Conference Sessions (1:30 – 3:00pm)
- Best Practices for Parent Leadership: Engaging Families Through Parent Cafés (for parents)
- Featured Speakers: 2014 State School Superintendent’s Parent Advisory Council Members
- Breaking New Ground on Parent-Teacher Collaboration (for educators)
- Featured Speaker: Dr. Maria C. Paredes, Senior Program Associate at WestEd
- Opening General Session (4:00 – 6:00pm)
- Special Guest: Dr. John D. Barge, State School Superintendent
- Keynote Speaker: Dr. Steven Constantino, Superintendent Williamsburg-James City County Schools, Virginia
Friday, January 10, 2014
- Luncheon General Session (12:00 – 6:00pm)
- Special Guest Speaker: Mr. Milton Little , President, United Way of Greater Atlanta
- Special Guest Speaker: Ms. Rubielen R. Norris, President, United Way of Northeast Georgia
- Keynote Speaker: Ms. Michele Brooks, Assistant Superintendent for Family and Community Engagement, Boston Public Schools
Saturday, January 11, 2014
- Special Guest Speaker: Otha Thornton, National PTA President
- Special Guest Speaker: Rita Erves, President, Georgia PTA
Keynote Speaker: Mr. Aric Bostick, Speaker and Author Aric Bostick Success Training, Inc.