The Georgia State Schools Division; Atlanta Area School for the Deaf (AASD) the Georgia Academy for the Blind (GAB) the Georgia School for the Deaf (GSD) and the Georgia Parent Infant Network for Educational Services (GaPINES) will safely open schools on Monday, August 9, 2021. All students are scheduled to return under a traditional, face-to-face model in our school buildings. We are implementing additional measures to provide a safe learning environment for our students and staff. We encourage students to take advantage of the traditional, face-to-face instruction in our schools.
The State Schools Division will follow guidance from the Centers for Disease
Control (CDC), Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH), and Georgia Department of Education (GaDOE). The information below summarizes the steps we are taking to safely open school as scheduled.
Reopening Safely Plan
First Day of School|
- Monday, August 9, 2021
- Masks will be
strongly encouraged but not required
Assemblies/Large Group Gatherings|
- Assemblies/Large gatherings during the school day may be held as in in pre-COVID time.
- No keypads, salad bars, or self-service that includes multiple students touching one serving utensil will be used until GaDOE and CDC advise as totally approved.
- The State Schools Division will stagger lunch schedules so that fewer students are at lunch at one time to allow for social distancing.
Communication||Back to school communication will be shared through|
Facebook, school website, and communication from the Parent Mentor through email and text messages
- Athletics will follow GHSA recommendations.
- Extracurricular/Academic clubs will follow CDC, DPH, and GaDOE guidelines.
- Field trips will be allowed following required safety measures.
Safe and Healthy|
- Parents should pre-screen students before sending
Parents should pre-screen students before sending them to school or bus stops each day. Any student who exhibits signs of illness as fever, respiratory issues, sinus issues or stomach illness should not be sent to school until symptoms are checked out or resolve.
Parents/Guardians will be notified when students who are ill must be taken from school immediately.
- All classrooms will be supplied with hand sanitizer and disinfectant.
- Best practices for hand washing and social distancing will be implemented.
- Masks will be available upon request, but not required.
- Custodial staff will be provided disinfecting equipment and supplies.
- Classrooms, cafeterias, and high-traffic areas will be sanitized frequently.
- Contact among students will be limited as much as possible.
- Parents may opt to transport students.
- Buses will be sanitized between routes.
- Hand sanitizer will be available on all buses.
- Drivers, additional staff, and students will follow CDC guidelines for safety and health.
- Volunteer programs are on hold until further notice.
- Parent/Guardians must schedule a visit by emailing the teacher(s) or other personnel they would like to meet with. The teacher/case manager/ other appropriate will notify administration and/or the Administrators designated contact person that a visitor is expected on assigned day and time.
- First day of school will be August 9, 2021, in a traditional, face to face format for all students enrolled in a State School; AASD. GAB. GSD and GaPINES.
- A Virtual Learning Option is available for students to take classes through GA Virtual School or other Virtual School of the parents' choice, but the student will no
longer be enrolled in a State School.
The State Schools Division will implement CDC and DPH quarantine guidelines as required at any time moving forward post-pandemic.