Arts education in Georgia includes the study of dance, media arts, music, theatre/film, and visual arts. High school students have the opportunity to achieve a Fine Arts Diploma Seal while completing a Career Pathway in dance, music, theatre/film, and visual art.
- stART Grant - The stART grant application window has opened for Rural school districts. The window is September 16 through October 1, 2020.Gadoe.org/IVA Competitive Grants
- GPB GA Home Classroom - As part of the public media mission to ensure all kids have access to continued free educational resources at home, GPB, in partnership with the Georgia Department of Education (GaDOE), is offering broadcast programming that adheres to Georgia’s state standards to provide continued at-home learning. Explore Georgia Home Classroom.
- Creative School Awards - 5 schools were awarded the Creative School, Arts Integration Award of Excellence in 2020. Labelle ES and Powder Springs ES in Cobb County, Henderson Mill ES in Dekalb County, Coleman MS in Gwinnett County, and Kay Pace School of the Arts in Clayton County.
Fall Semester Professional Development for Arts Teachers
All training is virtual and will be recorded. Individual course descriptions and instructors are listed in the 2020/2021 Professional Development Catalog.
COURSES FOR ALL FINE ARTS SUBJECTS
Digital Teaching & the Arts
- Digital Teaching & the Arts (Self-Paced Video Training - Click the words Digital Teaching & the Arts above in green to download)
- Using Social Media for Arts Advocacy (Live September 15th @ 4:00 PM)Register Here
- Educating the Whole Child: Utilizing Title Funding to Support the Arts (Live September 17th @4:00 PM) Register Here
- Digital Teaching & Learning in Music (Live September 1 @4:00 PM)Register Here
- Bravo Behavior! (Live September 8 @4:00 PM)Register Here
- The Big Picture: Comparing Cultural Pedagogies in Music (Live September 10 @4:00 PM) Register Here
- It's A Mystery! Making Mysterious Lessons for the Elementary Music Classroom! (Live September 29 @4:00 PM)Register Here
- SEL + Life Skills in the ES Music Classroom (Live October 1 @ 4:00 PM)Register Here
- Music for the Early Childhood Educator (Self-Paced course available now in the PLO!)
THEATRE & FILM
- Intro to Digital Improv (Live Series of 2 - August 31 & November 2 @ 4:00 PM)Register Here
- Reading Shakespeare with your Whole Body (Live Series of 2 - September 14 & November 16 @4:00 PM) Register Here
- Text into Action (Live Series of 2 - September 21 & November 23 @ 4:00 PM) Register Here
- Digital Teaching and Learning in Theatre (Live September 28 @ 4:00 PM)Register Here
VISUAL & MEDIA ARTS
- Using Social Media for Arts Advocacy 101 (Live September 15th @ 4:00 PM) Register Here
- Educating the Whole Child: Utilizing Title Funding to Support the Arts (Live September 17th @4:00 PM)Register Here
- Arts Integration: Let's Get Visual! Inquiry-Based Instructional Activities that SWIRL (Live November 5 @ 4:00 PM) Register Here
- Visual Art for the Early Childhood Educator (Self-Paced Course available now in the PLO!)
Instructional Resources for Fine Arts Teachers
Georgia Fine Arts teachers have more than four thousand instructional resources available inside the GA Teacher Resource Link (TRL). Resources include year-long scope and sequences, unit plans, lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, instructional videos, and assessments. These resources may also be found by downloading the Word document links highlighted in green below.
- These example digital lesson plans are for teachers and parents and are easy-to-use and include both “plugged and unplugged” activities for use in a virtual teaching environment.
Theatre & Film Instructional Frameworks
- K- 5 General Music, General Music 6, HS Band I, HS Chorus I, HS Orchestra I, HS Music Technology I, SEL in ES Music Supplemental Resources
Visual Art Instructional Frameworks
- Theatre & Film 6-8, HS Acting I, HS Advanced Drama I, HS Acting and Production in Film I, HS Dramatic Writing I, HS Fundamentals of Theatre I, HS Musical Theatre I, HS Tech Theatre I
- Visual Art K-5, 6-8, HS Art History I, HS Ceramics I, HS Drawing and Painting I, HS Graphics I, HS Jewelry I, HS Photography I, HS Printmaking I, HS Sculpture I, HS Visual Art Comprehensive I
Georgia Standards of Excellence in the Arts
Arts Integration School of Excellence Award
The Georgia Department of Education recognizes schools with the Creative School, Arts Integration School of Excellence Award.
The winners are schools where all students have access to arts integration in every subject and there is both rigor and relevance in the arts integration programming. Arts integration professional development is ongoing, the program is well-organized, and the school involves the community in the arts.
Application materials are due to Jessica Booth on April 15th annually.
Fine Arts High School Pathways and Diploma Seal
Georgia public high school students may complete a Fine Arts Pathway in Dance, Music, Theatre, or Visual Art by taking a series of 3 full credits in one fine art subject area. There is no end of Pathway tests for the Fine Arts Pathways.
Students who complete an additional fourth credit in the arts, complete 20 hours of arts-related community service and a capstone project are eligible for the Fine Arts Diploma Seal in approved school districts.
The district application deadline annually is September 15th. Districts who had their applications accepted previously do not need to resubmit. Schools and districts are responsible for submitting qualifying seniors to the Fine Arts Program Manager by April 15th annually.
Course Numbers and Descriptions
Arts course names, state numbers, and course descriptions for all five subject areas are listed below. Teachers should use these course descriptions to guide instruction in addition to the standards for their area.
Arts Opportunities for Students
State and National Arts Education Organizations
Rural Georgia schools are eligible to apply to receive the stART grant to increase arts education classes during the school day. The grant application process is open from September 16 to October 1, 2020. Gadoe.org/IVA Competitive Grants